11.20.2006

NaNoWriMo

Yes, November is National Novel Writing Month. I have been trying to write a novel since November 1. I have a little over 900 words.

Ooops! Guess I'm not doing so well. I did all of that in an hour or so on the 1st or 2nd. Since then, I haven't even opened the Word document with the stuff in it. I keep forgetting. I'm too busy filling out job apps (still searching!) and avoiding my thesis.

I kind of liked what I was writing, but I'm not sure if I am going about it the right way. Okay, obviously writing would be a good start, touche, but I mean my method. I am trained in screenwriting. With that, you pretty much plan out as much as possible ahead of time - your characters, major plot points, beats, etc. I understand that is helpful for novel writing as well, but the people over at nanowrimo.org advise not overthinking this novel. after all, trying to write a novel (50,000 words by there count) in a month is daunting enough. they say, just write, get down as much as possible, and then we can worry about the details.

so what do you guys think? should I give up for now? or do you think I can squeeze out 25,000 words or so over thanksgiving break? cause even if I got that far by the end of november, I just might try and finish.

I never finished my screenplays. ooops! ;)

No comments: