2.11.2007

What makes nagging nagging?

I pondered this question as I stared at the melted cheese cemented onto the kitchen plate. A-hole had neglected, yet again, to rinse his dish off completely before leaving it in the sink. He also left out the ridiculous stove-top popcorn popper with burned popcorn and oil all in the bottom. These things are not big deals in and of themselves, but anyone who has roomed with other individuals knows that mostly it's the little things that tend to build up, one on top another, until it's just too much.

Here's my dilemma: I hate the word nag. I loathe it. It makes me feel sick to my stomach. Why? Because I feel it is used unfairly. Really, what's wrong with asking or telling someone to do something when it's their job, something they've committed to, something they've promised to do? So, How is nag used unfairly? you ask. Because a man is never accused of nagging. My mother never said to my father, "Quit nagging." Those ridiculous caricatures of humans on sitcoms never accuse the dad or husband of nagging. I think part of the reason is that women often ask. "Will you blah blah blah?" "Can you blah blah blah?" It automatically places them below their men. Well, no more asking! I am demanding, I am commanding that these things be done.

So this is what I said: "I'm gonna rip off your balls and shove them down your throat next time you don't rinse off your plate." Then I asked A-hole if it sounded like I was nagging. "No, threatening," said he. Yes, mission accomplished! Now I'm not a whiny, pathetic female but a violent, vindictive bitch.



PS Most of this is tongue in cheek. I love my Pandy Bear! I get very lazy with dishes sometimes, not to mention cleaning the tub, etc. But I am concerned about being labeled a nag. Hate that word!

No comments: