5.14.2007

C. Y. A.

One day several years ago, at some relative's house, I was goofing around with my sister and cousins, and I knocked over a glass bowl or something like that from a coffee table. I don't remember if it broke. What I do remember is immediately exclaiming, "Sarah!" as if she had been the one to knock over the bowl. I was a teenager. I was reflexively covering my ass.

I tell this story to illustrate that I do understand how sometimes it just happens. We go on the defensive. We haven't been accused of anything, but know it's coming. Or maybe we just go around with a chip on our shoulder, or we are guilty (of something similar?) and are rightfully defensive. So I understand. I do it too.

I am so sick of hearing it at work! All day long, it's "Well, Someone did this first," or "But Someone told me," or "I was told by Someone that Someone blah blah". No one is willing to just say, "Okay." There's always a big explanation, a shifting of blame, or some mysterious Someone involved that will never be named. Do they fuck up that often? Do my coworkers feel that threatened? Am I just so new that I have yet to feel the boot of management up my ass? Maybe after working there for 10 years, they take simple questions as criticism. The work has become personal. Or maybe they are just like me, reflexively covering their ass. I don't know. I just wanted to bitch.

No comments: