2.19.2008

Speeding Motorcycle

On Sunday, Pam and I went to see Speeding Motorcycle, a musical at Zach Scott. The songs and concepts are Daniel Johnston's - there is even an appearance by Jeremiah the Frog. I had a nice time. The atmosphere was very fun and touching, just like his music.

So, I think that makes four cultural events for me this year so far:
-Avant Cinema at the Film Society featuring the work of filmmaker Scott Stark.
-It is Fine! Everything is Fine. Slide show and film screening featuring Crispin Hellion Glover narrating his slide show and doing a Q&A following the movie.
-Lichtenstein exhibit at the Austin Museum of Art.
-Speeding Motorcycle at Zach Scott.

I guess five if you count the local documentary I went to see with the filmmakers, but I don't feel like counting that one.

And in the coming months:
-March 7 - 15, SXSW Film Festival. Passes went on sale on February 9th! I hope I can still get mine, I'll be going tomorrow.
-March 12 - 16, SXSW Music Festival. I will be entering the drawing to get a discounted wristband, and if I win the lottery, I will definitely go. However, if my name is not drawn, I would have to pay the full price, and I may not go. But there are several people I would like to see.
-April 5, Xiu Xiu. Thank you, Jesus! Great birthday present.
-Mid-April, Carmen.
-June, Die Fledermaus. Actually, I don't know if I can handle this retelling - it's "Austintacious" with cowboys and tech millionaires.

I just read Women As Lovers and it broke my heart.

Along with a few coworkers, I will be making lunch for some families staying at the Ronald McDonald House in early March. I am trying to work with the UT Volunteer Corps and volunteer at sessions to help kids and parents fill out FAFSA paperwork and learn about college. I will be helping out at Expanding Your Horizons on March 29. I am going to the Art Show fundraiser meeting next week for Choices for Children, and it looks like I will be the volunteer coordinator for an annual fundraiser for a local theater group.

I voted today.

I've also been working on some music for the accordian and other art projects. Maybe one day I will finish one I am brave enough to share. That would be nice.

I will post pictures of my new apartment soon.

I did a lot of thinking last year and decided there was a lot in my life I wanted to do differently. It appears I am heading in the right direction.

No comments: