9.23.2006

Disappointing TV


A-hole* and I finished watching the Arrested Development dvds last night. So sad. What a great show! The cast was talented, the writing was great - irreverant, political, and at times very subtle - it was so much fun to watch. Seriously, I pretty much now detest the 30 minute sitcom. Have for a while. Someone - anyone - list one good one that is on right now.

That's what I thought.


A few posts ago, I wrote about how excited I was for the new Grey's Anatomy. Blech. It turned out to be pretty lame, of course, and simply rehashed everything we already new from the first two seasons. Characters with baggage, Meredith's in a love triangle and gots to decide. There had better be some fun stuff or I'm gonna stop watching the show! Why create melodrama with someone dying every single episode? I know they're in a hospital, I know that kinda stuff happens, but I wanna see the characters do things that make them seem real, the everyday stuff. Cleaning house, buying a car, making jokes with each other. Not every moment of the show has to include one of the characters experiencing a huge crisis or epiphany. Please, don't go there! I like George and Izzie and Christina and Miranda and Preston and Addison and even Alex - I like them so much more than Meredith and McDreamy right now. Those two are just Obnoxious.

That's all on the TV front for now. Tootaloo.


*A-hole when I'm not so pleased, Pandy Bear when I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arrested Development, yes, of course. But don't punk out on the sitcom just yet - I just know there's more to be explored with the medium.

For instance, currently, The Office is like a sitcom crossed with great romantic literature. It's like what The Royal Tenenbaums should've been, if it had then been moved from fake-NYC to Scranton.

You probably didn't see it since it was on HBO, but Lucky Louie was interesting. The writing was fairly terrible, but the acting was all right and the way it looked was great. That was the best part about watching the show.

I think My Name Is Earl is a really solid sitcom, the second-funniest on television probably. The Office is innovative in its structure - in addition to all the other incredible things it does amazingly well - , Lucky Louie was innovative in its appearance, and I think Earl is innovative in its content. I mean, I figured the writers would sort of forget about the whole karma angle halfway through episode two, but they didn't. And now it's exciting to watch the content dictating the form. That's kind of revolutionary for a sitcom.

So that's, um, my 'pinion.