9.27.2006

Taking a Break from Celebrity Gossip

I know you never thought you'd hear me say this, but I have decided to stop looking at celebrity gossip for a while. Since my last day at work, I've had a lot of time on my hands, and I've wasted most of it - snacking, looking at gossip, flipping through the cable channels. Yes, there is a lot of work I've done, too. But now that I am no longer suffering at work and no longer have as much to avoid/forget, the gossip is just obnoxious, mean, and leaves a yucky taste in my mouth.

So, what specifically is off limits? Pretty much anything that makes me scowl. I don't have a problem with talking about how silly an actress' dress or make-up happy to be, but the endless shots at people's looks, their choice of mate, photos of where they ate, how drunk they look, etc have just become so tedious. It's my own fault for checking these things a million times a day.

There are several blogs that are updated frequently which I will continue to look at. I'm not against all time-wasting! Cute Overload and Stuff on My Cat have never made me scowl. I do not see these as time-wasters at all: there has been many a time when looking at adorable animals, my spirits have been lifted. Those websites are most essential. There are several academic-, science-, and women-in-science-minded blogs I read that, while effective time-wasters, also serve to enrich my understanding of where I am at in my life right now, as well as intellectual curiosity. Other blogs and websites in my favorites include a fansite for a certain fabulous sci-fi tv show from the late eighties/early nineties, shopping websites, friends' and family members' blogs, fake news and real news, and a really hilarious blog dedicated to romance novels. See, more than enough to divert my attention from the tasks at hand in a happy, healthy way!

Who knows how long this "break" will last. The Chocolate Boycott lasted more than a month, and when I returned to eating chocolate, it was nicely in moderation. I don't eat it everyday anymore! No doubt I will look up some of these gossip websites again, but I don't intend to do it everyday.

Hoorah for cute puppies and kitties and bunnies!

No comments: