6.13.2008

New Song I Love

When I was feverish yesterday and feeling sick, I looked around iTunes for some music to cheer me up. Looking at Ahmad Jamal, saw a track called, "Laura."

I vaguely remembered there may have been a standard-y sounding song by that name from the 50s or so, so I entered Laura in the search bar. Sure enough, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, Charlie Parker (yeah!), Oscar Peterson (yeah!) and his Trio (yeah!), etc, all have record the song. But it's not a great song, it's a decent song.

Then I saw a name that piqued my interest: Vincent Gallo. Wha? Vincent Gallo recorded this song? Surely not. Well, no he did not, it's another song. I would like to preface this with saying I'm not a fan of his - but I'm not not a fan either. My knowledge is really limited to Buffalo 66 and the clips they show at the drafthouse before break dancing/hip-hop movies with him on that show from the 80s/early 90s, wearin' funny close and dancing. And The Brown Bunny, which I did not see (be careful when you google him, people - if you're at work, you may want safe search on).

The song is gorgeous. It's exactly the style of song I would want someone to write using my name, whether they know me or not. Very dreamy, sparse lyrics, like wee-hours of the morning kinda thing. And his voice surprised me also - very quiet, but he's not singing softly, and almost feminine. Just listen to the clip on iTunes! I bought the whole album despite the song, "I Wrote This Song for the Girl Paris Hilton," which is a good song. The whole album is good. It is all sparse and moody and quiet, not all the tracks have lyrics (thank you!), I was very surprised. Not because I expected it to be bad, I just didn't know what to expect. Anyway, I think I love it.

And there you go!

Let's find a place/A happy place/We can find...

No comments: